Drone Laws in Greece

Agencies Responsible for regulating drones in the Hellenic Republic (Greece)

Drone Regulator in Greece: Hellenic Civil Aviation Authority (HCAA)

On the attached link, you will find the Greek Drone Regulations

EU Nations Drone Regulator and Regulations: European Union Aviation Safety Agency (EASA)

For a full explanation of EASA regulations simplified, please read our explainer: The rules for drone flyers in the European Union (Europe Drone Laws Simplified)

UAS Laws – General rules for flying drones in Greece

The Greek agency responsible for drone safety, HCAA, has provided several internet-accessible details on flying for fun or work. The highlights are enumerated below. For more details go to the link above.

As of 31st December 2020, national drone rules will be replaced by common European regulations. This reform aims to create a truly harmonized drone market in Europe with the highest level of safety. In practice, it means that once a drone Οperator has received authorization from its state of registry, he/she will be allowed to circulate freely in the European Union. According to the level of risk involved, this new legal framework will introduce three categories of drone operations: Open, Specific, and Certified.

Drone operations are to be conducted according to the Commission Delegated Regulation (EU) 2019/945 and Commission Implementing Regulation (EU) 2019/947 (as amended).

Are drones allowed in Greece?

According to HCAA, drones are allowed in Greece, subject to HCAA and EASA regulations. Read on for details.

Here are the most important rules to know for flying a drone in Greece:

  1. Only persons approved on the request can operate the UAS (at all times).
  2. The UAS will not be flown at a height greater than 400 feet AGL (above ground level).
  3. The UAS will not be operated near airports and heliports.
  4. The UAS is flown within the visual line of sight of the operator (at all times).
  5. The UAS is only operated during daylight hours in compliance with HCAA rules.
  6. The UAS will not be operated over people or populated areas, including parking lots and streets.
  7. The UAS will not be operated in adverse weather conditions.
  8. A pilot License and International Insurance Certificate are required.
  9. The UAS pilot must remain reachable by cell phone at least 30 minutes before the flight (and at all times if possible).
  10. The UAS will be required to land first and then move to the new location if multiple flying areas are used.
  11. For citizens of EU countries, national state registration is accepted (UAS Registration Number in the requester’s country of origin). For non-EU citizens, CAA approval & registration policy will be considered.
  12. All national and EU Data Privacy legislation must be observed

Open Category

Given the low level of risk, neither prior authorization by the competent authority nor a declaration by the drone operator is required. The drone’s total takeoff mass must be less than 25kg and be operated within a visual line of sight at a maximum altitude of 120m.

Specific Category

Considering the moderate level of risk involved, flights in this category require authorization before the operation. The permission is given considering the mitigation measures identified in an operational risk assessment, except in specific standard scenarios where an operator declaration is sufficient.

Certified Category

Given the inherent dangers, certification of the drone and a licensed remote pilot are required. If your drone can carry people, you fall under the Certified category!

EASA Summary of Drone Flight Operation Requirements

EASA Summary Table of Drone Flight Operation Requirements
EASA Summary Table of Drone Flight Operation Requirements

Note for foreign operators

EU and Non-EU Residents visiting Greece, who wish to have answers to any question concerning UAS flights in Greece, may request information using the following email address: info.dagr@hcaa.gr

EU Residents

For EU Legislation reference, visit EASA (FAQ) link

For information contact: info.dagr@hcaa.gr

For airspace use permissions, fill in the attached “ application for UAS flight activity approval” and send it to: info.dagr@hcaa.gr

Operator Registration (Non-EU Residents)

  • If you are coming from a non-EU country and this is the first time you will fly your drone in an EU country, you MUST register as an Operator.
  • Upon registration, you will receive a unique Operator Registration number which you MUST attach to your drone. If you have several drones, the same number must be attached to all of them.
  • You are not allowed to fly in NO FLY ZONES, and you must keep a minimum of 8km distance from airports/heliports.
  • If you have already conducted operations in another EU country before going to Greece, you must not register again. You always register to the first non-EU country you have conducted flights.
  • To register successfully, you must pay a registration fee
  • If the first EU country is Greece, to register, apply at: d2d@hcaa.gr; After your registration, you may request information for UAS activities in Greece by e-mail at: info.dagr@hcaa.gr;

Remote Pilot Certificate (Non-EU Residents)

  • If you want to fly your drone in Greece and live in a non-EU country, you must hold a Remote Pilot Certificate from an EU country.
  • You can get the A1/A3 Certificate by registering with an online Remote Pilot School.
  • The online training and exam are required for those who want to fly a drone in the ‘Open’ category in subcategories A1/A3.
  • The pass mark is 75%, and you have three attempts to pass.
  • Once you pass your exam, you will receive your remote pilot certificate. Its validity will be five years.
  • You must have your Remote Pilot Certificate in your possession whenever you plan to perform drone operations in Greece and present it when the authorities ask.

Greece allows tourists to fly drones for recreational purposes in free-fly zones as long as they are flown within 50 meters (160 feet) radius of the operator. To find which zones are free-fly zones, we encourage you to use the free Drone Aware app provided by the Greek Authorities: Drone Aware Greece.

How to register as a drone pilot or operator in Greece?

According to European Regulation (EU) 2019/947, registration is mandatory for UAS operators (not for UAS themselves).

The UAS Pilot, also known as the Remote Pilot (RP), is the person physically behind the UAS flight controls. They are fully responsible for the safety of the flight throughout operations.

The UAS Operator is the person or company who oversees operations and gives flight instructions. This person or legal entity bears all responsibility for the operations of the drone (s) on their behalf. Very often, in the OPEN category and as an individual, the Pilot and the Operator are the same person.

Who should register?

As part of the OPEN category, registration is compulsory for operators:

  • UAS that has a mass of 250 g or more; 
  • UAS that has a mass of less than 250 g but:
    • can operate at speeds greater than 90km / h 
    • are equipped with a camera or a microphone, if these UAS are NOT toys * 

* A UAS is a toy when a manufacturer intends it for children under 14 and meets the minimum safety criteria required to be so named. Compliance with these standards naturally limits the capabilities of the UAS (size, weight, non-dangerous spare parts, no powerful motor, etc.): see Directive 2009/48 / EC of 18 June 2009 on the safety of toys

Under the SPECIFIC category, registration is compulsory for all operators.

Natural persons can only register in the country where they reside.

Legal persons must register in the country where their principal place of business is located.

Registration can only be done in one Member State at a time.

How do you register in Greece for drone operations?

The operator registration procedure begins at the online registration link

This UAS operator registration number is valid for one year and must be renewed periodically following the same procedure. The operator, therefore, always uses the same number unless the latter is permanently deregistered from the register.

Notes for recreational drone pilots flying for fun in Greece

In Greece, flying a drone is permitted only during daylight hours. Flights at night require special approval. 

Procedure for obtaining your Flight Authorization from HCAA:

  • Fill in, sign, and e-mail the linked Authorization Request for UAS (drone) flights form to HCAA: info.dagr@hcaa.gr
  • HCAA may ask for additional information, i.e., UAS Registration Number, Pilot Certificate, etc.
  • You may be informed of additional restrictions to make your flight safer if your request is approved.
  • If you do not get approval in due time, you must call off your flight plans and not fly your drone illegally.
  • Upon HCAA approval (if received), you must visit the nearest to your flight area Police Station and the localMunicipality services in order to inform local authorities of your approved flight plan. During these visits youwill be required to show some identification (your passport or driver’s license etc.) to validate your identity.
  • Finally you must observe all flight rules in the UAS REGULATION document, plus those listed above and be available on your cell-phone for possible emergency calls from ATC units or the police.

Private drone flying is permitted in Greece, but only under the conditions outlined below:

  • No special permission is required. 
  • 100m / 328ft Maximum Height 
  • > 100m / 328ft: Special Permit Required 
  • The drone must always be visible (line-of-sight) 
  • Without special permission, the maximum take-off weight is 5kg / 11lbs. 5kg / 11lbs requires special permission 
  • Requirements for Labeling with complete name and address. 
  • Insurance for Drone Liability is always required.

See general EASA rules above.

Notes for operating Commercial Drone Services in Greece

  • For commercial use of any UAS Category, a special license issued by the HCAA / Air Transport and International Agreements Division, is required. Each individual or entity must submit a relevant request in accordance with European or National Law.
  • Along with the request, the following documents must be submitted:
    • The UAS Certificate of registration in the UAS Civil Aviation Registry.
    • The Certificate of registration of the operator and the UAS remote pilot in the special registry of HCAA.
    • Insurance certificate
    • Fee as specified in the applicable Joint Ministerial Decision
    • A Certificate issued by the authorized training instructors where it is confirmed that the remote pilot is duly trained and has the basic knowledge of Air Traffic rules and / or piloting civil aircraft according to the requirements of each UAS category.
  • The request is examined by HCAA / Air Transport and International Agreements Division for the validity of documents and the conformity to the aforementioned general and specific conditions of present Regulation, as it concerns the use and operation of UAS.
  • The license (approval) granted by the HCAA / Air Transport and International Agreements Division for operation with the designated UAS, is issued in the name of the operator and has a twelve month validity. After expiration and as long as the operator wishes to continue operations, terms, and supporting documents must be reviewed and the payment of a new equivalent fee must be made.
  • The aforesaid approval will be suspended or revoked when one or more of the relevant requirements of legitimate use of UAS, as described at the present Regulation no longer exist.
  • When a request is submitted it must include a copy of the Criminal Record for General Use of the Operator (owner or lessee) if the operator is an individual or its legal representative, if the Operator is an entity. From this Criminal Record, it must be evident that the Operator or its legal representative has not been convicted during the last decade for committing one of the offences described at Para. 1, of Annex 1 of National Civil Aviation Safety Regulations.

See general EASA rules above

What you must know about Greece No Fly Zones or No Drone Zones

You need to know if you can operate your drone, under what limitations, whether authorizations are required, and how to get those authorizations.

We encourage you to read our explainer for more details on this topic here: Explainer – What You Must Know About No Fly Zones or No Drone Zones

Useful published information on flying drones in Greece

Here is a sample of what you might expect if you follow the drone laws and fly in Greece…

NOTE: Small Unmanned Aerial Systems (SUAS), Small UAS, Remote Piloted Aerial Systems (RPAS), unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV), Unmanned Aerial System (UAS), and drone are interchangeable terms unless specified. Model Aircraft, toy, remote-controlled, and RC aircraft may be covered by the same regulations unless specified.

Find out why we think you must use a Drone Preflight Checklist and a Drone Post-flight checklist

Free Drone Flight Checklist PDF

This Drone Flight Checklists is better than others.

It’s free!

It includes both the preflight checklist and post-flight checklist

It’s an easy to use printable pdf that covers all your bases.

Traveling with a Drone?

Click here to read our Comprehensive Guide For Traveling With A Drone.


Help Us Keep Drone Laws Updated

Tell Us About Your Recent Experience

In The Comments Below


The content on this site (The latest Drone Laws/Drone Regulations) is collated by volunteers from public general information. This material is not presented as legal advice of any kind, and we cannot guarantee that the information is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. Do not substitute the information you find here for legal advice from a licensed attorney who is authorized to practice in the jurisdiction. When in doubt, contact the local aviation authority responsible for drone safety, utilize a licensed drone service operator, and/or consult a qualified attorney.

We welcome any feedback, corrections, or updates that can be shared with our community.

The contents of this website are open-sourced and licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States (CC By-SA 3.0 US). Feel free to share, remix, or otherwise.

41 thoughts on “Drone Laws in Greece”

  1. Hi!

    I see you (still) claim that you have to register the flights with your local police station. This is not correct. I asked the HCAA in January for details on registering with the police after reading an article on your page. They said:

    “The only thing you have to do is to apply. You do not have to visit any police station.

    The application filling is to prevent flights over prohibited or restricted areas. You may request a flight over a restricted area or near an airport, but we make the arrangements to get you an authorization if needed.

    The procedure takes normally 5 working days if a military airport or base is involved and one working day for other cases”

    Since you claimed this back in January also, I assume it is not a part of anything that changed with your latest update. I have flown quite a few times since then, and they have never mentioned it, just approved my applications.

  2. I’m visiting Corfu and from Australia and want to fly a mini pro 3 to take holiday photos. I understand I need to register as an operator, do I also need a pilot certificate?

  3. Dear Friends
    I am traveling to Greece and I have a DJI Mini 2 drone. It is registered in Spain, I have third-party insurance, I fly in the Open category and I’ve got A1/A3 titulation.
    can you clarify this question for me?
    – If I fly in the open category during the day with the Mini 2 drone in areas allowed for flight (not CTR), is it necessary whenever it exceeds 50m away to communicate with you and request authorization?
    2. The drone is already registered in Spain. Is it necessary to register the drone in Greece or to inform you in some other way that the drone is going to fly in Greece?
    Thank u in advance!
    3. To use the DAGR app, do I have to register in the app?
    Thank u soooo much!

    • Paloma, we are not the regulator, just a team of volunteers providing simple analysis of drone laws.

      Regarding your questions:
      If you fly the drone int he open category within visual line of sight (you can see the drone), you don’t need extra authorization (assuming you follow all the other rules).
      You do not need to register your drone again if it is registered in Spain for flying in any EASA regulated state (Greece is one of these).
      The DAGR app requires registration when we last checked.

      We also recommend you check the regulator website (link found at the top of this page for more recent information).

      Let us know how your experience went. Cheers

  4. Hi I am travelling to Kos(Greece) for a week in September and wish to take my Mini 3 Pro (less than 250g) I have an operators ID and Pilot ID in the UK and will only be using the drone for recreational use only. Do I need to register my drone with HCAA? Also is night flying prohibited in all classes (including recreational)? Cheers

    • You must register the drone with HCAA if it is camera equipped.
      Night flying is prohibited unless specifically approved.

      • This is incorrect. You have to register your drone with _your_ authorities. If you are a foreigner, like me, you register the drone with the registry of your country. I have my drone registered in Sweden, and it is only possible to register your drone (i.e. operator registration) in one country in the EU. If you have already registered as an operator in one country, you cannot register in another. No matter how much you try.

        You of course have to provide the serial number of the drone and the operator number to the HCAA, when applying for a flight though.

  5. Hello,
    My thanks for the very useful info, I appreciate it. Specific questions:

    I’m a UK resident who flies self made FPV drones. My travel drone weighs 98g not including the single 18650 that powers it! (all-up weight is way under 250g)
    Therefore the drone has no model designation and I have no EU certification.

    Apart from being sensible and obeying the usual rules (airspace / privacy / time / height / distance / speed) will I need any permissions or licences to operate such a device for recreational use in Greece?

    Many thanks,

    • Diana, we do not have this information. You should look for apps that have Greece airspace regulations.

  6. I’m staying in a hotel in Sidari in Corfu and a drone was filming over the pool and hotel at 10.30 in the evening while we were relaxing on our balcony. We challenged them and they said it was for advertising and assured us we wouldn’t be in any footage. Just wondered if this was really acceptable behaviour as it was night time and we feel this is an invasion of our privacy?

    • The property owner does not appear to be violating any regulations if they are filming their property and exclude you from the footage.

  7. I have a dji mini3 weighing 249 grams . I am a registered dron operator in Denmark, but my drone does not need to be registered in dk. Since I am traveling to Greece on vacation, I am interested in whether I need something else or I can use my drone with my operater licenece in the permitted zones in Greece

      • my drone is not registered because no registration is required in denmark. but I have an operator license is that enough

        • It should be enough. Please check the regulators website for more up to date information when you get there.

  8. My understanding is that insurance is not required for recreation drone flights where the weight of the drone is less than 4kg. Can you please confirm this?

  9. Hello, i am from Denmark, and is going to greece in the summer break.
    I have a DJI Mavic Mini, less than 250 grams (microdrone).
    I know i dont need insurance or a special drone license, but do i need to register?

  10. I will be in Athen,s Greece for a week in July on vacation and plan on bringing my DJI FPV(795grams) drone for recreational flights (short Video/Pics) to document trip. I have already registered the drone and have a Registration number for it. How do I register as the operator of the drone?

    And am I required to take the A1-A3 certifcation course?

    • Very late and you probably already had your trip, but still useful maybe for you or other readers:

      This likely applies to other EU countries than Sweden, where I am registered as an operator, too, as it is ESEA regulation. I recently got a new drone, and asked the Swedish transport agency whether or not I needed to register as an operator for my second drone. They said it was not necessary, and that the operator registration covers my new drone too by default.

      So, the only “Registration” you need to do is to register your operator ID in the drone software, and to provide your drone serial number in the application to the HCAA (mandatory field). They also require your operator ID, so you are set by simply applying for takeoff and getting the application approved.

  11. Where can I apply for operator and get the ID? another doubt would be to apply for operator I need a Pilot Training Certificate?

  12. I have an A2 certificate an intend to visit Greece and fly my Air2s in open category. Do I have to register as an operator in Greece if I am a EU resident?

  13. Hi, at the part “How do you register in Greece for drone operations?,” the online registration link sends us to a site fully in Greek with no options for English. How would it be possible to access it in English in order to complete the online registration?

    • Unfortunately, we have not found an English version of this site. You can try a browser that has translation capabilities. Let us know what you find.

  14. I will be going on holiday and staying within the r1000707 HCAA Danger Area near Maleme. I hold the A2 CofC and am registered as an operator and flyer in the UK.
    > Do I need to register in Greece?
    > Is there a way to obtain permission to fly within the r1000707 area?

  15. I have completed and passed the EASA online course for the open sub category A1 and A3 (issued from Luxembourg) I intend to fly my Air 2S within the 50 metres in any direction guidelines. My question is do I need to register as an operator in Greece? I am from the UK.


      • This seems misleading and incomplete, since you can only register in one EU country. You cannot hold multiple operator registrations. This goes for all of EU. This is according to your own information, too:

        “Under the SPECIFIC category, registration is compulsory for all operators.

        Natural persons can only register in the country where they reside.

        Legal persons must register in the country where their principal place of business is located.

        Registration can only be done in one Member State at a time”

        What if you are not residing in EU at all or do not have have a principal place of business in the EU? Nothing is mentioned about that, but it would be useful information. Do you know? Would be a great addition and clarification for the information above.

        • Adrian, thanks for the feedback. When you travel to the EU you follow the rules for the first location and register if required. That registration is valid for all EU locations if you travel elsewhere in the EU.

  16. I am planning to travel to Greece one week on September 2021, I have a DJI mini less than 250g can I fly the drone, need permit , I am traveling from USA

  17. We plan to just stay in Greece 1 night on our way to a non EU country and do not plan to use the drone. Will we have issues at the Greek airport? Do we still need to register?

    • You do not need to register your drone if you are in transit and do not plan to use the drone in Greece (depending on the drone). We would declare the drone on arrival, and the authorities will either allow you to take the drone with you or hold it at the airport for return to you on departure.


Leave a Comment