Agencies Responsible for regulating drones in the Arab Republic of Egypt
Drone Regulator in Egypt: Egyptian Civil Aviation Authority (ECAA)
UAS Laws – General rules for flying drones in Egypt
The Egyptian agency responsible for drone safety, ECAA, has provided several internet-accessible details on flying for fun or work. The highlights are enumerated below. For more details go to the link above.
Are drones allowed in Egypt?
According to ECAA, drone operations are technically legal in Egypt if the Civil Aviation Authority grants permission. Obtaining consent is extremely difficult. Read on for more details.
Here are the most important rules to know for flying a drone in Egypt:
- Before operating your drone, you must obtain permission from Egypt’s Civil Aviation Authority.
- Never fly over a crowd or a group of people with your drone.
- Consider others’ privacy when flying a drone.
- Avoid flying your drone over airports or in areas that aircraft fly over frequently. You must fly during daylight hours and only when the weather is favorable.
- Avoid flying your drone over extremely sensitive areas, such as government or military installations. In these areas, drones or drones equipped with cameras are prohibited.
- Only fly during the day and in good weather conditions with clear visibility.
- Do not fly above 400 feet.
- Keep your drone within direct visibility.
- Do not fly closer than 9 kilometers (5.5 miles) from all airports and airfields.
- Do not fly in sensitive areas, such as government or military facilities.
- You may only use automatic flight maneuvers if you can intervene as a pilot at any time during the operation.
Egypt enacted stringent legislation in 2017 prohibiting the use and trade of drones. This law makes it illegal to import, manufacture, sell, collect, or possess drones unless you receive a permit from the Ministry of Defense.
Anyone who violates or violates the law will face a fine of LE 5,000-50,000 or a prison sentence of between one and seven years. The military judiciary will enforce the laws.
Additional Notes For Foreign Operators
Egyptian Customs have reportedly seized many drones. Unless you have prior authorization, your drone will likely be confiscated at the point of entry.
Notes for recreational drone pilots flying for fun in Egypt
See the general rules above.
Notes for operating Commercial Drone Services in Egypt
See the general rules above.
Useful published information on flying drones in Egypt
Here is a sample of what you might expect if you follow the drone laws and fly in Egypt…
NOTE: Small Unmanned Aerial Systems (SUAS), Small UAS, Remote Piloted Aerial Systems (RPAS), unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV), Unmanned Aerial System (UAS), and drone are interchangeable terms unless specified. Model Aircraft, toy, remote-controlled, and RC aircraft may be covered by the same regulations unless specified.
Find out why we think you must use a Drone Preflight Checklist and a Drone Post-flight checklist
Free Drone Flight Checklist PDF
This Drone Flight Checklists is better than others.
It includes both the preflight checklist and post-flight checklist
It’s an easy to use printable pdf that covers all your bases.
Traveling with a Drone?
Click here to read our Comprehensive Guide For Traveling With A Drone.
NOW ITS YOUR TURN
9 thoughts on “Drone Laws in Egypt”
Can the confiscate drone at airport if you just in transit?
Typically transit visitors do not go through customs and it is unlikely that the drone would be confiscated. It really depends on the type of transit and whether you will have to clear customs, in which case the risk does rise.
They confiscated my small drone at Hurghada airport. However, they issued an official receipt and allowed me to take it back before the return flight back home.
Did you got it back on your way out?
You should allow to use Drones on the Beaches in your resorts to See if Any Sharks are around
Thanks for the page guys this has really saved me a load of problems Im off on a dive holiday at the end of the week and very almost packed my mini 2.
You are welcome. Please help when you can by sharing your experience in the comments
Im a videographer and bloggers in the tourism industry , how can i obtain license to fly my drone ?
Do i have to do any steps to enter egypt with my drone to follow the country guidelines?
We recommend you contact ECAA and follow their instructions. A link to their site is at the top of the page.
Please come back and share your experience