Agencies Responsible for regulating drones in the Arab Republic of Egypt
Updated July 14, 2022
UAS Laws – General rules for flying drones in Egypt
The Egyptian agency responsible for drone safety, ECAA, has provided several internet-accessible details on flying for fun or work. The highlights are enumerated below. For more details go to the link above.
Are drones allowed in Egypt?
According to ECAA, drone operations are technically legal in Egypt if the Civil Aviation Authority grants permission. Obtaining consent is extremely difficult. Read on for more details.
Here are the most important rules to know for flying a drone in Egypt:
- You must first obtain permission from Egypt’s Civil Aviation Authority before operating your drone.
- Never fly over a crowd or a group of people with your drone.
- Consider others’ privacy when flying a drone.
- Avoid flying your drone over airports or in areas that aircraft fly over frequently. You must fly during daylight hours and only when the weather is favorable.
- Avoid flying your drone over areas that are extremely sensitive, such as government or military installations. In these areas, drones or drones equipped with cameras are prohibited.
- Only fly during the day and in good weather conditions with clear visibility.
- Do not fly above 400 feet.
- Keep your drone within direct visibility.
- Do not fly closer than 9 kilometers (5.5 miles) from all airports and airfields.
- Do not fly in sensitive areas, such as government or military facilities.
- You may only use automatic flight maneuvers if you can intervene as a pilot at any time during the operation.
Egypt enacted stringent legislation in 2017 prohibiting the use and trade of drones. This law makes it illegal to import, manufacture, sell, collect, or possess drones unless you receive a permit from the Ministry of Defense.
Anyone who violates or violates the law will face a fine of LE 5,000-50,000 or a prison sentence of between one and seven years. The military judiciary will enforce the laws.
Additional Notes For Foreign Operators
Egyptian Customs have reportedly seized many drones. Unless you have obtained prior authorization, your drone will likely be confiscated at the point of entry.
Notes for recreational drone pilots flying for fun in Egypt
See general rules above.
Notes for operating Commercial Drone Services in Egypt
See general rules above.
Useful published information on flying drones in Egypt
Here is a sample of what you might expect if you follow the drone laws and fly in Egypt…
NOTE: Small Unmanned Aerial Systems (SUAS), Small UAS, Remote Piloted Aerial Systems (RPAS), unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV), Unmanned Aerial System (UAS), and drone are interchangeable terms unless specified. Model aircraft, toy aircraft, Remote controlled aircraft, and RC aircraft may be covered by the same regulations unless specified.
Traveling with a Drone?
Click here to read our Comprehensive Guide For Traveling With A Drone
NOW ITS YOUR TURN