Agencies Responsible for regulating drones in the Republic of Turkey
Republic of Turkey Ministry of Transport and Infrastructure –General Directorate of State Airports Authority
Drone Registry and Information Page: SIVIL HAVACILIK
Updated July 22, 2022
UAS Laws – General rules for flying drones in Turkey
The Turkish agency responsible for drone safety, DGSAA, has provided several internet-accessible details on flying for fun or for work. The highlights are enumerated below. For more details, go to the link above.
Are drones allowed in Turkey?
Here are the most important rules to know for flying a drone in Turkey:
It is legal to purchase and fly drones.
Certain UAVs may not be imported into Turkey without submitting a Letter of Application to the customs office.
The use of model aircraft and small UAVs under 4 kg, with speed under 50 km/h and flight height under 100m is not regulated. Use is permitted in open areas for recreational and sport purposes.
It is required for pilots who intend to fly a UAS that weighs 500 gr or more on Turkish air space to be registered to the system and receive approval from the General Directorate of Civil Aviation. Register at the site linked here.
More information has been provided online regarding the registration requirements and process. This information can be found online at the following links:
Notes for recreational drone pilots flying for fun in Turkey
You must follow the procedures outlined above, as well as those below.
You must not fly your drone higher than 120 meters (400 feet) above ground level.
UAVs weighing, less than 25 kilograms need no permit to be obtained from the government, for uses besides commercial use, such as sports activities and amateur purposes. You are required to be registered, as stated above, and get flying permission.
Additional Note For Foreign Operators
In Turkey for foreign UAV operations, according to “SHT-IHA Instructions” you must fulfill these instructions below;
1) UAV flight request in Turkish airspace by foreign operators/actuators/pilots must be sent to the General Directorate of Civil Aviation via diplomatic channels 20 weekdays before the first flight day by filling UAV Flight Permit Request Form (The form is located in the DGCA official website)
– Form Link: http://web.shgm.gov.tr/tr/formlar/3910-index (Hava Seyrüsefer Daire Başkanlığı = > UAV Flight Permission Request Form (FR.23)).
In addition, you can’t register your UAV in Turkey because of you are not a Turkish citizen. Although you do not have a UAV registration number, you can fill in the application form (FR.23) by leaving the UAV registration number section blank.
2) Insurance is mandatory for the drone. Therefore, you have to insure your drone and the insurance documents must be sent to the General Directorate. To find out how much insurance amount your drone required please check the legislation in the link; https://www.resmigazete.gov.tr/eskiler/2017/07/20170727-2.htm
3) After receiving positive views from the civil and military institutions about the applications, these areas are to be announced with NOTAM to all airspace users. In case of receiving negative views from the institutions or from our General Directorate, flight is not permitted.
4) In case of getting the flight permission, it is compulsory to obey the provisions in Turkish AIP and other rules by operators/pilots/party.
5) A Turkish Republic citizen pilot who has at least IHA2 pilot license by our General Directorate supervises to all flights.
6) If the area to fly is in the special permit area (red area), risk analysis is required for any purpose.
INFORMATIONS ABOUT CUSTOMS
If you bring your UAV which MTOW (maximum takeoff weight) is 500g or above in Turkey, customs may seize your drones and demand technical conformity form (FR.03) that can be taken from Directorate General of Civil Aviation. To receive technical confirmation form for your UAV, you must apply to Directorate General of Civil Aviation with application form FR.03 (Unmanned Aerial Vehicle Importation Technical Conformity Application and Control Form). The form can be found in Forms sections on main page in the DGCA official web site.
– Form Link: http://web.shgm.gov.tr/tr/formlar/3910-index (İHA Sistemleri Koordinatörlüğü/ Kontrol Formları = > Unmanned Aerial Vehicle Importation Technical Conformity Application and Control Form (FR.03)).
In addition to the flight permit form, the criminal records must be sent to our General Directorate.
If you bring your UAV which MTOW is below 500g, that kind of UAV is out of the scope of our national regulation and is not required any technical conformity. For this reason, the General Directorate has no responsibility for the entry of UAVs under 500g into the country from customs.
If you have more questions about technical confirmation form (FR.03) you can mail to “firstname.lastname@example.org” e-mail address.
Notes for operating Commercial Drone Services in Turkey
Prior permission from authorities is required for commercial use.
Useful published information on flying drones in Turkey
Here is a useful video for those considering visiting Turkey with a Drone…
NOTE: Small Unmanned Aerial Systems (SUAS), Small UAS, Remote Piloted Aerial Systems (RPAS), unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV), Unmanned Aerial System (UAS), and drone are interchangeable terms unless specified. Model, toy, remote-controlled, and RC aircraft may be covered by the same regulations unless specified.
Traveling with a Drone?
Click here to read our Comprehensive Guide For Traveling With A Drone.
NOW ITS YOUR TURN